Now Reading
Megan Thee Stallion Files Lawsuit Over Recording Contract With 1501 Certified Ent.

Megan Thee Stallion Files Lawsuit Over Recording Contract With 1501 Certified Ent.

Campbell Addy / Rolling Stone

Megan Thee Stallion is taking legal action for a dispute with current record label, 1501 Certified Entertainment

On Monday (March 2), Megan Thee Stallion has filed a lawsuit regarding a dispute over her recording contract with record label, 1501 Certified Entertainment. The current situation has stirred up controversy on social media after Megan went on her Instagram live to reveal why she was told she’s not able to release any new music.

Megan explained, “When I signed, I didn’t really know what was in my contract. So when I got with Roc Nation, I got real management, I got real lawyers, and they was like, ‘Do you know that this is in your contract?’ And I was like, ‘Oh, damn, that’s crazy—no, I didn’t know.’

According to RAP-UP, the conflict sparked when Megan wanted to re-negotiate her contract due to the contract terms were for 1501 Certified to get 60 percent of her recording income. The remaining 40 percent goes to her, but she has to use that to pay engineers, mixers, and artists who work on the songs, and she ends up with a fraction of it.

RAP-UP states, “All money from Megan’s touring and live performances are to be paid directly to 1501 Certified. She says the label has provided incomplete and “purposefully and deceptively vague” accounting of what she’s owed. She received a $10,000 advance in exchange for signing the contract and wants to renegotiate.”

Megan’s attorney, Richard Busch, reportedly gave a statement to TMZ saying, “We are very happy the Court granted our TRO (temporary restraining order) & thrilled that the world should be able to now hear Megan’s new music on March 6. We will now proceed with the other claims set forth in the [lawsuit].”

See Also

Megan Thee Stallion is set to debut a new song this upcoming Friday (March 6) following her first single ‘B.I.T.C.H‘ from her debut album, Suga.

What are your thoughts on the lawsuit? Is Megan entitled to a re-negotiation from her shady music contract or is the label protected from any restitution due to having a legal agreement? Sound off in the comments below.

View Comments (0)
Scroll To Top